Mt St Patrick College was founded by the Sacred Heart Parish, Murwillumbah and the Lismore Presentation Sisters in 1926. Monsignor Michael Quinn, the second Parish Priest of Murwillumbah, built the ‘Convent’ High School, a single classroom, at his own expense and with the support of parishioners. The school began by offering three years of co-educational secondary education leading to the Intermediate Certificate. Sr Gabriel Weir was the first Principal of Mt St Patrick High School.
Increased enrolments forced classes to be held in the Parish Hall, the former church, after the opening of the new Sacred Heart Church on October 2nd, 1938. Second Year classes were held in the centre of the Hall while Third Year classes were held on the stage or in a small side room. Monsignor FitzPatrick, the third Parish Priest, added two ‘spacious classrooms’ to the original school building in 1951, one upstairs and one down. The first Science Laboratory was built in 1958 and was designed specifically for the teaching of Chemistry and Physics. It was the first Laboratory built for this purpose in any school administered by the Lismore Presentation Sisters.
In 1966 the school attracted increased enrolments following the introduction of the Wyndham Scheme and the subsequent closure of three smaller local Catholic secondary schools. In that year the school became known as Mt St Patrick Regional High School and had an enrolment of 192 students. Forty seven students sat for the last Intermediate Examinations in that year while in the same year, twenty three students sat for the School Certificate Examinations. Eight Fourth Form students were the first group of Mt St Patrick students to sit for the School Certificate Exams in 1965. Mt St Patrick Regional High School reached a record enrolment of 498 in 1986 whilst offering four years of junior secondary education.
The first lay Principal was appointed in 1990 ending 64 years of continuous leadership by the Presentation Sisters. In 1992, the first Year 11 students were enrolled. Sixty four of those students sat for the first Higher School Certificate Examinations offered by the school in 1993.
The school became known as Mt St Patrick College in 1998 in response to changing demographics and a major eighteen month building program. Mt St Patrick Presentation Convent, a building of heritage interest, was opened in 1904 and became the administration centre of the College in 1997. It was officially named Presentation House in 1998.
In 2011, the St Mary of the Cross Science and Language Centre was opened as a result of the Australian Government’s Economic Stimulus Package. A record enrolment of 695 students was achieved in 2012 year with 51 full time lay teaching staff and 4 part-time teachers (2.1 Full Time Equivalent). The College will open a $5.4 million Multipurpose Centre in 2013.