Mt St Patrick College is located on ‘Church Hill’ in central Murwillumbah and has 360 degree views of the beautiful Tweed Valley, including the majestic Mt Warning named by Captain Cook on May 16, 1770.
The College consists of a mixture of modern and restored historic buildings set in a clean and well-maintained environment. The oldest building, Presentation House, is a building of ‘heritage interest’ and was opened on St Patrick’s Day, 1904 as Mt St Patrick Presentation Convent. It is now the administration centre of the College and brings a sense of history, charm and security to the College. On entering the building, one is struck by the architecture and the strong College focus on students.
A major building and refurbishment program began in September 1996. The project included the construction of an industrial kitchen, art workshop, photography laboratory, two music rooms, three music studios, three science laboratories, a textile room and computer facilities and the refurbishment of a majority of existing facilities. The St Mary of the Cross Science and Language Centre was opened in 2011 and has a strong information technology focus. It consists of two science laboratories, two languages rooms, seminar rooms, a video conferencing room, a small lecture theatre and a heritage room. The Learning Support Centre, music studios, Library, three computer rooms and the six learning spaces in the St Mary of the Cross Science and Language Centre are all air-conditioned.
In 2011, construction will begin on a $4.5 million Multipurpose Centre. The Centre will consist of a full size indoor basketball court, drama rooms and associated change and storage areas, two classrooms, a stage, kitchenette, boys and girls shower and change rooms, toilets, a fitness room, PE storeroom and an undercover basement area. Two full size outdoor basketball courts are also included in the project.
The College is located within easy walking distance of many of the towns sporting venues including the swimming pool, netball courts, tennis courts, hockey fields both grass and turf, rugby league fields and a gym. Soccer fields are located adjacent to the College.
Digital technology infrastructure is of the highest standard with wireless internet access available in all areas of the College due to the $631,000 received from the Australian Government’s Digital Education Revolution. A dedicated fibre optic connection allows effective use of a one-to-one student netbook program operating in the College. Students are issued with their own netbook computer, subject to certain conditions. Data projectors and interactive whiteboards are installed in most classrooms with video conferencing facilities available in three areas of the St Mary of the Cross Centre.
The College is fortunate to have a very efficient and well managed school canteen. The menu is broad and adheres to the guidelines of the Healthy Schools Canteen Association.
In 2011, fifty two solar panels were installed as a result of the National Solar Schools Program. The panels reflect our desire to care for the environment and support other initiatives for a ‘greener’ College and world.